Keys and Cowls is a very difficult retro puzzle platformer. Sneak your way through the Temple of Iris, past the keepers of the temple who can kill you with a glance, and discover the treasures and secrets within.
Arrows or WASD to move. Z to jump. X or Spacebar to throw keys.
Press I to see your Statistics.
Originally for GBJam 5.
Quick Update (As of Feb. 25, 2016):
- Fixed a bug that made monks invincible for one frame
- Made keys bounce off special blocks
- Added apostrophe to custom font
Valentines Day 2017 Update:
- This update has been a long time coming. I'm considering the game "Complete" as of now, though there may still be some bugs, typos, etc.
- Over 20 new levels
- 3 Boss Fights
- New Intro Cinematic
- Invisibility Potions
- Secret Passages like Nobody's Business
- 5x Coin and 3x Key pickups
- Keys now persist between levels
- "Safety Jump" (can jump 5 ticks after falling off a platform)
- Mobile Controls Disabled (They weren't very good)
- All levels have been cleaned up, tightened, and improved
- New rewards for players who take extremes
- 3 Cheat codes
Updates (As of Nov. 12, 2016):
- Adjusted Blind Friar behavior
- Added 3 levels (Forge, Organ and Vault)
- Added Secret Warp Zone (Accessible from Foyer)
- Added Savegame
- Slowed gameplay on
Updates (As of Nov. 3, 2016):
- Fixed Bug that made keys double every level.
- Added splash screen
- Added Blind Friar
- Added Ghost Squid
- Added 2 levels (Catwalk and Workshop)
Updates (As of Oct. 23, 2016):
- Fixed Bug that made Library and Bathhouse levels crash
- Updated animation for characters
- Added uncalled for and probably not very good mobile controls
- Keys are now persistent
Updates (As of Oct. 21, 2016):
- Monks' death-glare looks so much less awful.
- Monks take a a moment to turn around, easing up the difficulty a smidge.
- Score and statistics actually work now.
- Fiddled with level layouts to improve the flow.