Lovely game, reminds me of Spectrum games. You really need to use your brains to get through.
Keys and Cowls
Keys and Cowls is a very difficult retro puzzle platformer. Sneak your way through the Temple of Iris, past the keepers of the temple who can kill you with a glance, and discover the treasures and secrets within.
Arrows or WASD to move. Z to jump. X or Spacebar to throw keys.
Press I to see your Statistics.
Originally for GBJam 5.
Quick Update (As of April 23, 2017):
- Added animation to entrance doors, to draw attention to player character.
Quick Update (As of Feb. 25, 2017):
- Fixed a bug that made monks invincible for one frame
- Made keys bounce off special blocks
- Added apostrophe to custom font
Valentines Day 2017 Update:
- This update has been a long time coming. I'm considering the game "Complete" as of now, though there may still be some bugs, typos, etc.
- Over 20 new levels
- 3 Boss Fights
- New Intro Cinematic
- Invisibility Potions
- Secret Passages like Nobody's Business
- 5x Coin and 3x Key pickups
- Keys now persist between levels
- "Safety Jump" (can jump 5 ticks after falling off a platform)
- Mobile Controls Disabled (They weren't very good)
- All levels have been cleaned up, tightened, and improved
- New rewards for players who take extremes
- 3 Cheat codes
Updates (As of Nov. 12, 2016):
- Adjusted Blind Friar behavior
- Added 3 levels (Forge, Organ and Vault)
- Added Secret Warp Zone (Accessible from Foyer)
- Added Savegame
- Slowed gameplay on
Updates (As of Nov. 3, 2016):
- Fixed Bug that made keys double every level.
- Added splash screen
- Added Blind Friar
- Added Ghost Squid
- Added 2 levels (Catwalk and Workshop)
Updates (As of Oct. 23, 2016):
- Fixed Bug that made Library and Bathhouse levels crash
- Updated animation for characters
- Added uncalled for and probably not very good mobile controls
- Keys are now persistent
Updates (As of Oct. 21, 2016):
- Monks' death-glare looks so much less awful.
- Monks take a a moment to turn around, easing up the difficulty a smidge.
- Score and statistics actually work now.
- Fiddled with level layouts to improve the flow.
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
This game is very good,i really liked the visual style, the sound goes very well with the game and is overall very pleasant,the game is not to hard and not to easy, just right.
The only small problem i could find is that the music goes mute sometimes and it takes a while to comeback, but thats it.